Bernina Express holidays
The Bernina Express - small but mighty, and no less spectacular than the Glacier Express - takes its passengers from the Alpine town of Chur via the Albula/Bernina World Heritage route to Tirano. The panoramic train winds its way up more than 1600 meters in altitude to Ospizio Bernina. At 2253m above sea level, it crosses the Alps without a crest tunnel. The train winds along Lago Bianco and the large panoramic windows allow breathtaking views from the Grisons mountains far down to the Bergamo Alps. It begins a sensational descent of around 1800 meters in altitude, past Alp Grüm, the valley floor of Cavaglia and Poschiavo, down to the small Italian town of Tirano.
Attractions along the route
- Panoramic journey from the glaciers to the palm trees
- UNESCO World Heritage route Albula/Bernina
- Famous viaducts: Solis and Landwasser
- Montebello bend with view of Piz Bernina and Morteratsch glacier
- Spectacular alpine crossing at 2253m altitude
- Alp Grüm with view of Palü glacier and lake
- Brusio circular viaduct
You will find the train schedules on our timetable and information page.